Sunday, January 19, 2020

Vintage Daffy Advertisements

I love vintage advertisements, especially from the 30s-60s. The Looney Tunes advertisements from the 30s and 40s are particularly good.

I always found it interesting that in a handful of advertisements, Daffy was depicted with his “eye mask”. The eye mask was limited to only Bob Clampett’s Daffy, appearing in only 3 cartoons, one of them a mere cameo.


The first appearance of the eye mask in Wise Quacks (1939).

Daffy’s second eye mask appearance in Porky’s Last Stand (1940), the first cartoon of the new decade.
One last eye mask appearance. Daffy has a small cameo in We, the Animals Squeak! (1941).
Here are a handful of advertisements featuring Daffy with the eye mask.
Tex Avery’s Porky’s Duck Hunt (1937) was actually adapted into a children’s book.





I never liked the eye mask at first. I thought it was ugly and jarring, but after repeatedly subjecting myself to Porky’s Last Stand (one of my absolute favorite cartoons), I’ve really grown to like it. I think the mask fits well in advertisements, maybe even more than in a cartoon. I suppose it’s best when design is the focus, as opposed to animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission to Come Aboard, Captain!

 I’ve been waiting my whole life to join the Krusty Krew... and now I’m ready! That‘s right! I’m so, SO excited to announce that I’m officia...