Friday, January 24, 2020

Baby Bottleneck Breakdowns (part 3)

We’ve started the previous posts with Rod Scribner. Why break up tradition now?

Rod Scribner

“Cut it out, I say! You heard what I said!”

Rod Scribner animates this behemoth of a scene. Definitely without a doubt my favorite scene in animation. Rod Scribner usually focuses on facial acting instead of body acting, so it’s quite a refreshing surprise. Everything about this sequence is great. The tactility, the body expression, the facial expressions, the music... it’s fantastic.



Porky’s tail straightening out is a favorite running gag of mine. What a great way of subtle expression—really using every ounce of his strength to get Daffy to sit on that egg!

“Sthhhhhhufferin’ sthucotash!”

My favorite screenshot of all time. Daffy’s pose is wonderfully dynamic, and do I even need to comment on Porky’s face? The whole “tongue holding up Porky” concept is fascinatingly hilarious.


Manny Gould

“Say, eh-eh-cut it out now, will ya? Aw, lay off!”

Manny Gould splits the difference with the Scribner action that’s flying off the walls. The movement is very tactile and physical—way to stay grounded to real physics when the impossible is happening!

“Eh-le-let go of my leg! Let go, I say!”

Manny Gould needs more credit for these great scenes.


This Porky reads as slightly Scribner-esque to me, but I think it’s Gould. I’m not sure why Clampett would throw in a Scribner scene in the midst of all this Gould action. Then again, he does love to switch animators. I think this is Gould, though. Scribner’s would read differently. More wrinkles and bigger eyes.


God, what an amazing scene, huh? Witness the Scribner/Gould magic unfold in motion:


Bill Melendez


This scene was thought to have been done by Scribner for quite awhile. Makes sense, with the animation being so free, loose, and floppy. Yet the tongue shape and eyes cue me in as being a Melendez scene. Some beautiful animation! 

Wrong layer, buddy.

What great expressions!

Survival of the fittest.

I’ll hold out for one more post on this, since this one is already the length of a book. We still haven’t reached peak absurdity! More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission to Come Aboard, Captain!

 I’ve been waiting my whole life to join the Krusty Krew... and now I’m ready! That‘s right! I’m so, SO excited to announce that I’m officia...